To set up a domain is pretty easy, and cheap. If you are DIYer like me then this tutorial is for you. If not, go to the end and see how I can assist you.
WHAT IS A DOMAIN NAME?
Before we jump in, it’s good to understand what a domain name is.
In simple terms, a domain name is on the internet what a physical address is. Examples are fifyloewen.com, apple.com, naturalhairbots.com etc. Of course, the extensions are numerous, depending on the region.
The extension for Botswana is .co.bw. I just went with .com when I started because it was easiest to get.
Please note that having a domain name doesn’t mean you have a website, it just means you have an address, a plot of land that you can now build on.
Yes? Now let’s move on.
WHO NEEDS A DOMAIN NAME?
- Small businesses
- Large businesses
- Personal brands
- *Parents (for their little ones)
So basically if you are alive it’s good to have one. This especially applies for businesses hoping to appear more professional and to have more control over their brand. I always take in a deep breath when I see a business using an email with a @yahoo.com or something similar. @gmail.com I can forgive 🙂
But kidding aside, getting a domain name is a building block in getting a personalized email account.
*Parents, just like you’d secure a plot of land for your kids (if you are Motswana), secure them a place on the internet. They can decide what they want to do with the domain later on.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Internet connection
- Credit/Debit card, or Paypal account
- Domain name ideas
There are numerous hosting companies around, but I’ve been with Namecheap for over 10years and I’ve been happy with the service so far. I find their CPanel also easy to navigate, and I’ve seen a few CPANELS in my time.
- Get to this Namecheap page using this link. Once here, enter your desired domain name. I’m using my given name for purposes of this tutorial 🙂
2. If your Domain is available then you’ll get the following success message.
If not, then you can look at other options or add a variation to your name, it usually makes a difference.
3. Click the little cart next to the 10.69/year to add your domain to the cart. Your total will be reflected on the right. I’m sure you can pay for 2/3 years, which will bring the price further down.
Click ‘View Cart’ for the next step.
4. This is where you’ll get options before you checkout. I generally ignore them, because you can always do this later if you need to.
- One option I’ve selected before is the one to add Gmail to the account. So if you’d like a professional email (eg firstname.lastname@example.org) using Namecheap, you can select this option. The big advantage is that setup is super easy this way. But I prefer setting up G-Suite on my own.
- You can also select hosting if you’d like to host your website with Namecheap. But again, I host my site with Siteground because I’ve heard before that it’s better to do it this way. Your eggs are not in one basket, for lack of a better explanation.
- Click ‘Confirm Order’ to get to the next step.
5. Here you’ll just Create an account by entering your details if you don’t have an account with Namecheap. If you have an account with them like I do, Log into your account.
6. Once you’ve entered your details/logged on, you’ll come to this screen to make payment.
I have Paypal setup in my account, so I clicked on the Çheckout’with Paypal button. However, if you don’t have Paypal, the ‘Select other payment Options’ in order to enter your card details.
Review your domain details to make sure you have no spelling errors etc, then proceed.
7. This is how the screen will look like if you are ‘creating account’with Namecheap instead of logging on like I did.
I’ve just blocked out personal details in the form below, but this gives you an idea I hope.
8. If all is in order then you should be able to get to this next step.
9. At this point you can stop, you are the proud owner of a domain! congratulations! Or you can click one of the following to continue.
So just like that, you’ll have your domain name. If you are struggling to register for some reason and need me to help you, please apply using the form below.
Let me know if you found this helpful.